June 22, 2016: The Bulls sent Derrick Rose, Justin Holiday, and a pick to the Knicks in exchange for Jose Calderon, Jerian Grant, and Robin Lopez. For the Knicks, who’s management has been among the worst in all of sports in recent seasons, this was a very low risk move, trading average players for a former star who has been crushed by injuries and had just one year left on his contract. While Rose’s numbers were not bad last season in New York, it is just another deal that falls under the laughingstock of moves Phil Jackson has made due to the Knicks performance on the court as a team this past season. One of my favorite moments of the season was when the Knicks decided not to trade Derrick Rose for Ricky Rubio. Head-to-head, you may agree they should choose Rose in favor of Rubio, but the Knicks chose Rose instead of Rubio due to Rubio’s “injury history”. Wait, what?
- Rose missed Games 2-6 against the 76ers in the 2012 Playoffs, as well as all of the 2012-13 season after tearing the ACL in his left knee in Game 1 of that series
- Rose missed all of the 2013-14 season from November 22 on after tearing the meniscus in his right knee
- While it was much more successful that his 2013-14 campaign, Rose played in just 51 games in 2014-15 due to multiple knee injuries
*just over a month after the non-trade*
But Rubio is the one to be concerned about, of course.
While this was comical, the greatest moment in Derrick Rose’s tenure as a Knick (he still could be resigned this offseason) happened on Instagram the day the trade news was broken.
No. Chill. Gil. Just weeks after he tormented Nick Young and his son,
Gil went viral again, this time on his Instagram page. Gilbert Arenas does not post too often, but he is a must follow for when he does. Let’s try and breakdown Gil’s unique analysis on this trade.
“Hold up wait a min…..I take a nap and wake up to this sh*t here….#Drose just got traded for #Calderon and#RobinLopez? #HUH”
- Of course he had just woken up from a nap. Still confused, checks his phone, probably thinks he’s still dreaming and takes him a few minutes to realize the news is real.
“#ayeshacurry the NBA must be rigged girl lol”
- Perfect timing with this one, as this was just 3 days after the finals ended and 6 days after Ayesha’s spoiled-child-not-getting-what-they-want twitter rant.
“#philJackson just got derrick rose for (two scratch and sniff lotto tickets, one of shawn kemp 9 kids and bootleg copy of #riri cd (music of the son WITHOUT #PonDeReplay )😂😂.”
- The randomness gets under way, compares the 3 players the Knicks traded to other “useless” items.
“I’m not saying #chicagobullsGM is doing #crack, all I’m saying is this move was very CRACKISH….this is like tipping a crackhead outside a #nightclub for waving you over 4 the FREE PARKING SPACE (I was saving this for you big man) #YouJustDontDoIt”
- Bulls GM Gar Forman has to know not to being tipping crackheads outside of night clubs just for waving him over to a free parking space.
“this is embarrassing CHICAGO…. I could have giving u a better deal then what you got.”
- No Chill Gil for #chicagobullsGM
“I need derrick rose on my #YMCA team so ill give u (the cell phone #deangelorussell used to film his teammates confession last season, I have clear sound bite from when#royhibbert got slapped in preseason by#trevorbooker…u can clearly hear him say#OUCHHHHn*ggaThatHurts and ill throw in two #AllAccessPasses to go see Meek Mills Back stage in #toronto during #ovofest hahaha do we have a deal CHICAGO??”
- Arenas 100% still plays at a local gym or in some sort of men’s league. It’s only a matter of time before he makes his Big 3 debut. Now THAT is something I would love to watch. (Also giving DLoading and Trevor Booker some love)
“Im sorry yall but Phil Jackson must have a tape of the bulls GM playing with #caitlynjennerBalls or something to agree to that trade😂😂😂😂#PhilRealMVP #BlackMailTrade??”
- The Zen Master! Genius! I’m shocked this tactic does not have the Knicks in position to win a championship this season.
No Chill Gil’s hashtag game is unlike anything we have ever seen. #OUCHHHHn*ggaThatHurts, #caitlynjennerBalls, and the countless other hashtags on random words. If you read as much as you can on the internet about Gilbert Arenas’s past on and off court, as well as check out his social media, you’ll discover he is truly the most interesting man in the world. This country needs another segment of Gilbert Arenas tormenting Swaggy P’s life. Kanye said it best. Name one genius that ain’t crazy.